Get to know the people that live close to you, create a sense of community and help rejuvenate your street, front yards or a local public area. Rows of sunflowers for summer, an avenue of edible plants, or a weed free, open area for gatherings and relaxation.
Many hands make light work and beautiful spaces and places!
Steps to take action
- Letterbox drop your neighbours or post on your community Facebook group about your working bee idea.
- Contact your Council for support – they may offer advice or resources if the work is taking place in a public space.
- Organise a community meeting for people to share their ideas.
- Create a realistic plan and make sure everyone has a role to play.
- Gather resources and donations. You can keep it simple by getting people to offer things they already have like seeds, soil, paint etc.
- Put up signs to let the local community know about your project. You can also create a local Facebook group and let the local media know.
- Hold your working bee and have fun!
- Maintain your efforts. Put a plan in place to ensure ongoing maintenance and community involvement.