Having good mental health is when you can cope with the normal everyday stresses, work productively, realise your potential and contribute to your community. Red Cross has a number of programs which work to support good mental health in our communities. There’s a number of ways you help yourself and support others to foster good mental health.
Steps to take action
- Build relationships. Find out what groups or events are happening in your community and get involved.
- Exercise and stay healthy. Good physical health is about simply moving rather than sitting, so go for a walk, potter in the garden.
- Practice gratitude. Write down or tell a friend or significant other ‘what are you thankful for today?’
- Identify and use your strengths. Take the brief Strengths Test.
- Create flow. When you’re so involved in an enjoyable activity you lose track of time.
- Meditation. Learning to meditate can have a positive impact on your well-being.
- Seek help. Mental health affects almost 1 in 2 Australians. If you're struggling to feel happy see your doctor or a mental health professional.
- Give to others. Contributions big or small create a sense of wellbeing.
- Mental Health Services Helpline Tas freecall 1800 332 388
- Lifeline Crisis Help 13 11 14
- Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800