The national regulator who oversees First Aid training is making some updates to First Aid courses in 2021. These changes are being made to ensure industry best practice, expectations and current regulations are met and that students are competent in skills and when to use the skills in first aid situations.
The updates mean that there will be new course codes for first aid courses:
- HLTAID009 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation (formerly HLTAID001)
- HLTAID010 Provide basic emergency life support (formerly HLTAID002)
- HLTAID011 Provide First Aid (formerly HLTAID003)
- HLTAID012 Provide First Aid in an education and care setting (formerly HLTAID004)
- HLTAID013 Provide First Aid in remote or isolated site (formerly HLTAID005)
- HLTAID014 Provide Advanced First Aid (formerly HTLAID006)
- HLTAID015 Provide Advanced Resuscitation and oxygen therapy (HLTAID007)
- HLTAID016 Manage First Aid Services and resources (formerly HTLAID008)
- HLTSS00068 Occupational First Aid Skill Set (formerly HLTSS00027)
If you completed your course in 2020 or choose to complete one with Red Cross in early 2021, your first aid certificate will remain fully recognised for its full, intended duration (until it expires or you are required to take a refresher).
- HLTAID001 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation: Will remain recognised and valid for 12 months from the date of your course
- HLTAID002 Provide basic emergency life support: Will remain recognised and valid for 3 years from the date of your course
- HLTAID003 Provide First Aid: Will remain recognised and valid for 3 years from the date of your course
- HLTAID004 Provide First Aid in an education and care setting: Will remain recognised and valid for 3 years from the date of your course
We’re currently implementing and updating courses and will start running courses with the new course codes later in 2021. The official date that all new first aid units must be delivered by is 16 October 2021. We’ll provide further details soon.