Red Cross believes that everyone deserves a home that is safe, secure and affordable. In an average year, Red Cross helps 2180 people to find housing, supports 1360 people at risk of becoming homeless, and provides 43,400 meals to people experiencing hardship.
How we help people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness
Programs for people who are currently homeless.
We help people to find suitable and safe shelter through caseworkers. Most of these programs target specific groups, including older people, young people, people experiencing mental health issues and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Help to maintain housing and avoid homelessness.
We support people who are at risk of losing their rental property by negotiating with landlords, helping people to get their tenancy and rent payments back on track or finding more suitable accommodation. We also helped clients to manage the underlying issues which contribute to their housing problems, including income management, misuse of alcohol or other drugs, or with problems like compulsive hoarding.
Building life skills and community connection
Supporting people who have been homeless to develop community connection and friendship through one-on-one matching with a volunteer; providing education and training support, and teaching first aid skills. These new connections and skills make a big difference, helping people move out of cycles of homelessness.
Meals and support for people on low incomes or experiencing housing problems.
Providing a reliable and regular meal for people who may otherwise go without - many of them homeless. While our volunteers and staff are serving meals, we also talk with people about other services and information that can help them to find stable accommodation and get life back on track.
Red Cross programs and services to help the homeless
Supporting people to maintain their housing and avoid homelessness
Supporting people experiencing homelessness
- Street to Home - supporting people who are homeless to live safely and develop pathways out of homelessness. Working primarily with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Currently provided in Queensland contact our QLD team.
- Personal Helpers and Mentors Program (Homelessness workers) - supporting people who are homeless and living with a significant mental illness. Currently provided in Queensland - contact our QLD team.
- Homelessness Accommodation Support Service - linking people exiting homelessness services with housing providers as well as employment, health, finance and social integration services. Currently provided in Western Australia - contact our WA team.
- Housing Support Mental Health Service - assisting people exiting mental health inpatient units to access and maintain long-term stable accommodation. Currently provided in Western Australia - contact our WA team.
- Youth Homelessness and Reintegration Service - developing skills, social connections and employment opportunities for young people at risk of or experiencing homelessness. Currently provided in Queensland - contact our QLD team.
Homelessness Service Hub - providing a range of information, support, housing and specialist services to assist people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. The Hub is a single entry point to find housing and support in Townsville.
Building people's life skills and community networks
- Young Centre - Providing accommodation and intensive support for young people experiencing homelessness, with pathways to housing, healthcare, training and employment. Currently provided in Queensland - contact our QLD team.
- Streetwise first aid - providing national certification in first aid to people with low literacy, limited income or poor experiences with the education system, targeting people who have experienced homelessness. Currently provided Australia-wide. Become a host or funding body.
- Compass - volunteer mentors providing companionship and support to people who are re-establishing themselves after being homeless. Currently provided in South Australia - contact our SA team.
Providing information, resources and a meal