Red Cross believes in inclusive communities that support the reintegration of people as they move out of the Justice system. Many people leaving prison do not have any basic possessions to get them started. A pack of basic goods such as clothes and a bus ticket is a great help and makes people feel a little more confident about their transition back into the community.
Steps to take action
- Contact the Red Cross justice team in your State to see what items are needed for the reintegration packs.
- Form a group of interested people who would like to help collect the goods.
- Decide on how many packs you are making and create a list of what is needed in each.
- Share with your friends and colleagues why you are collecting goods and the importance of welcoming people back to the community who have been in prison. Let them know what they could purchase to put in the packs or donate money so you can buy the goods. If you have contacts in the retail industry, they may be able to donate items in bulk.
- Arrange delivery to Red Cross.
- Thank your friends and colleagues for their donations and celebrate the difference you have made.