The Board comprises up to 16 members who together oversee the role of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The CEO has the responsibility for the day-to-day management of the organisation, and manages the National Leadership Team, which provides high-level advice to the CEO on key strategic and operational matters.
Her Excellency the Honourable Quentin Bryce AC CVO, Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia, is the Patron of the Australian Red Cross Society.
Council of the Australian Red Cross Society
Meeting once a year at the Annual General Meeting, the Council’s responsibilities include receiving reports and financial statements and electing and appointing Board Members. The Council is made up of the President and 53 voting members, including all members of the Australian Red Cross Board, up to six Special Councillors and 32 members elected or appointed by the Divisional Advisory Boards of each state and territory, one of whom must be a youth member from each state and territory.
Membership of the Council
Australian Red Cross Board Members
Special Councillors: Ron Clapham, Vinay Menon (to December 2012), Greg Vickery, Matt Eyles, Winifred Smith and Alan Clayton (from December 2012).
Council members appointed or elected by each Divisional Advisory Board:
- ACT Division: Sam Wong AM (to May 2013), Phillip Kimpton, Dr Richard Pembrey and Hagen Marsh-Brown
- NSW Division: Robyn Rooth, Paul O’Sullivan AM MBE, David Madden and Merryn Lagaida
- NT Division: Charles Burkitt, Foster Stavridis, Simon Lee and Desmond Campbell
- Qld Division: Maureen Farrington, Jean Vallianos OAM, Chief Superintendent John Cawcutt AFSM and Kathleen Mayo
- SA Division: Rose Rhodes, Kym Thomas, Joan Lee and Pearl Li
- Tas Division: Roger Hawkes, Barbara Charlton and Rita Richards
- Vic Division: Anne Macarthur OAM, Phil Watson, Jen McLaren and Katrina Dizdar
- WA Division: Dianne Buckles, Kevin Poynton, Phil Jacobsen and Aisling Blackmore