Every 10 minutes, Australians dump 15 tonnes of clothing and fabric waste. That adds up to 800,000 tonnes, or 31 kilograms per person, every year. By learning more about slow fashion, you can contribute to the solution by raising your own awareness and others. Together we can take action to help reduce the amount of waste that ends up in landfill each year.
Steps to take action
- Learn more about slow fashion by exploring the resources available on the Clean Up Australia website. Search ‘slow fashion’ at cleanup.org.au.
- Take some of the actions suggested in the learning materials on the website above. Try the three ‘R’s with your own shopping and reduce, reuse and recycle your clothes in the right way.
- Download and use the good on you app. The app rates brands on environmental impact, treatment of workers and animals. You can find the app on the App Store or Google Play.
- Encourage others to learn more about slow fashion. Have conversations with friends and family about what you have learnt and the action you are taking.
- Shop at your local Red Cross Shop where you can be guaranteed to find something great and make a positive difference!
- Join this free online course for further learning about slow fashion and the circular economy.
- Explore the extensive resources available through fashionrevolution.org and complete their free online course ‘Fashion's Future: The Sustainable Development Goals.’