Australia is a vibrant, multicultural country. We are home to the world's oldest continuous cultures, as well as Australians who identify with more than 270 ancestries. Diversity in the workplace improves performance and outcomes including increased creativity and greater employee commitment.
People from refugee backgrounds offer incredible strengths, including multilingual ability, resilience and a global outlook and bring new parts of the community to your business.
Steps to take action
- Book a free multicultural awareness session through our Migration Support Program officers by contacting your local Red Cross office.
- Speak to your employer about setting diversity targets.
- Offer to be a volunteer mentor or buddy for a refugee or asylum seeker to help them enter the workforce. Help with CVs, selection criteria and interview practise is a huge helping hand.
- Celebrate the strengths of the cultural diversity in your workplace – food, music and celebrations are great ways to share.
- A guide for employers – supporting access to employment for people from a refugee or asylum seeking background
- Workplace cultural diversity tool
- Australian Red Cross Multicultural Awareness Information session flyer
- SBS Cultural Competence program