All snake bites must be treated as potentially life-threatening. If someone is bitten by a snake, get help immediately.
- Keep the person at rest, reassured and under observation.
- Dial 000.
- Do not wash venom off the skill or clothes.
- Begin CPR, if necessary. 30 chest compressions per 2 breaths. (hyperlink to CPR FA page)
- If bitten on a limb, apply a firm bandage on the bite site. Ensure the limb is immobilised and the person remains still.
- Work the bandage from the limb foot or hand upwards, working towards the heart and covering as much of the limb as possible. If you can, apply a splint to keep the limb immobile.
- Keep the person still and reassured until medical attention arrives.