If a child is not moving and does not respond when you call them or gently shake their shoulders, they are unresponsive.
- Check for breathing by tilting their head back and looking and feeling for breaths. Find out what to do if they are breathing.
- Call 000. If you are on your own, call 000 after you’ve spent one minute giving them rescue breaths and chest compressions.
- Give five rescue breaths. Tilt their head back, seal your mouth over their mouth and pinch their nose. Blow five times into the child’s mouth.
- Give 30 chest compressions. Push firmly in the middle of their chest with the heel of one hand so that the check goes inward, then release.
- Give two rescue breaths. Continue with cycles of 30 check compressions and two rescue breaths until help arrives.