The Governor-General of Australia, His Excellency General the Honourable Sir Peter Cosgrove AK MC (Ret’d), is the Patron of the Australian Red Cross Society. This year he supported Red Cross in a number of ways, including presenting five Red Cross nurses with the Florence Nightingale award at Government House in December 2017.
The Governor-General also kindly assists us in celebrating World Red Cross Day in May each year, marking the birthday of the founder of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement, Henry Dunant, and is celebrated by national societies around the world
Council of the Society of Australian Red Cross
Meeting once a year at the Annual General Meeting, the Council’s responsibilities include receiving reports and financial statements and electing and appointing Office Bearers and Additional Board Members. The Council is made up of the President and 54 voting members, including all members of the Australian Red Cross Board, up to six Special Councillors and 32 members elected or appointed by the Divisional Advisory Boards (DABs) of each state and territory, one of whom must be a youth member from each state and territory.
Membership of the Council
Special Councillors: John Hood, John MacLennan, Aisling Blackmore, Michael Legge AM, David Hamill AM and Catherine Walsh
Council members appointed or elected by each Divisional Advisory Board:
- ACT Division: Borka Buseska, Lina Silva, Ritu Clementi and Jasper Lawson
- NSW Division: Margaret Kiehne, Anne Knox, John Davis and Andrew Horne
- NT Division: Foster Stavridis, Heather Prendergast, Deven Patel and Lana Sobieralski
- QLD Division: Helen Clarke, Win Smith AM, Leann Wilson and Tasman Bain
- SA Division: Rebecca Hyde, Sue Vardon AO, Mabok D Mabok Marial & Danilla Colicchio
- TAS Division: Barbara Charlton, Frances Maxwell and Melanie Ross (one vacant position)
- VIC Division: Garry Nolan, Vinay Menon, Máiréad Doyle and Tina Hosseini
- WA Division: Karen Collins, Taliah Payne and Kat Sharpe (one vacant position)