What would you give up to support a good cause? Chocolate, coffee, shopping?
Wednesday April 4, 2012
Do you have a sweet tooth? Can't start the day without coffee? Love shopping? Could you Give It Up during May and donate the money you would normally spend to Red Cross to help people doing it tough?
Give It Up is a great way to support Red Cross and the work it does every day helping people doing it tough in our communities and overseas. This new campaign runs from May 1-31 and what you give up is up to you. It could be anything from your daily coffee to dinners out or even driving your car in May.
Once you've decided what you're going to give up, just register at www.giveitup.org.au and we'll send you a kit with all the information you need to get started.
Every dollar raised will help those in need. Just $35 provides a healthy breakfast for a month to a child who would otherwise go to school hungry, $100 will help install a well to provide safe and ongoing fresh water for a family in Cambodia, and $150 will help train outreach volunteers in the aftermath of a flood, fire or cyclone to assist community recovery through practical advice and emotional support.
"We were just totally under water, utter devastation," says Desley, who was affected by the flooding in southeast Queensland in January 2011. "Red Cross has been brilliant. To talk to somebody that had been around the area and seen what other people had suffered was really good for me. It was a bit of a stress buster."
"I'm giving up chocolate - it'll take some pretty strong willpower but it's for a great cause," says Australian Red Cross CEO Robert Tickner. "What will you be giving up?"
Give It Up is easy and anyone can do it!
- Register at www.giveitup.org.au. All registered participants will receive a pack with all the information needed to get started
- Choose what you are going to give up and calculate how much you would normally spend
- Give It Up during May 1-31 and do it as an individual or a workplace team
- Ask everyone you know to sponsor your efforts or make a donation upfront
- Deposit the money you have raised to Australian Red Cross
- Post your challenge to Facebook and tag us in your update www.facebook.com/AustralianRedCross. Join the conversation on Twitter by using the hashtag #Imgivingitup and include @RedCrossAU.
- Call 1800 652 635 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
For media enquiries, images or to arrange interviews, contact:
Annette Farnsworth, Media Adviser: 0459 838 429 or email@example.com
For information about Red Cross programs and services, visit www.redcross.org.au