Sunday January 2, 2005
Australian Red Cross has been heartened by the generosity shown by the Australian community in responding to the Red Cross Asia Quake and Tsunamis Appeal, which has raised an astonishing $30 million as at 9.00am today.
'This disaster of unimaginable scale has devastated the lives of millions of people, and as such it touched the core of the Australian public. On behalf of those we aim to assist, all staff and volunteers of Australian Red Cross would like to say a heartfelt 'THANK YOU' to the many corporations, the Federal Government, State Governments, volunteers, community organisations and all those who offered any kind of help in the wake of this historic calamity,' said Dale Cleaver, Acting Secretary General of Australian Red Cross.
'I wish to acknowledge every individual and organisation that donated, that volunteered with us and also those that have helped to accept and process the donations such as the Commonwealth Bank, St. George Bank and Telstra. Many corporations have provided a significant boost to the appeal, while the ongoing support of the media in raising public awareness has been instrumental,' added Mr Cleaver.
The Asia relief operation is set to become the largest ever relief operation undertaken globally by Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. Following the emergency response, the affected communities will need ongoing recovery and rehabilitation assistance for months, if not years.
Thousands of local Red Cross volunteers from the affected countries have been providing assistance from day one, and are now joined by expatriate staff from many Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies around the world.
'This level of response in terms of personnel deployed and funds raised will have a significant impact, but additional resources will definitely be required as needs are fully assessed and understood. Although the most recent appeal target set globally by the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies has been nearly fully covered, it is certain it will be revised upwards to ensure all needs are met,' said Mr Cleaver.
To check on the latest Red Cross activities visit our Special Section on the Asia Earthquake and Tsunamis Appeal (see link below)
The funds raised in Australia are being used in one of three ways:
- to fund the deployment of specialist delegates to the region to assist in the international Red Cross response
- to support the relief and rehabilitation work of our Red Cross and Red Crescent Partners through the global emergency appeal
- to support an Australian Red Cross program in the affected area
More specifically the Red Cross is working to provide emergency assistance as well as longer-term support for the affected people in a range of areas such as:
- shelter (tarpaulins, tents, temporary accommodation etc)
- food and non-food assistance (food rations, supplementary food, kitchen sets, hygiene kits, clothing etc)
- water & sanitation (safe water supplies, sanitation facilities in camps and elsewhere, building water storages, preventing outbreak of water-borne diseases)
- health (first aid, treatment and recovery, prevention of outbreaks of diseases, recovery of public health care facilities, psychological support)
To donate to Australian Red Cross Asia Quake and Tsunamis Appeal, log onto www.redcross.org.au, call toll free 1800 811 700 or make a donation over the counter at any branch of theCommonwealth, St George Banks, Australian Credit Union in NT & SA, New England Credit Union or Adelaide Bank.
For more information about the appeal see the link below.