Friday May 26, 2006
Red Cross has launched an appeal to support the people affected by the current unrest in Timor-Leste.
Up to fifty thousand people are estimated to have left their homes because of the violence and are living in makeshift camps around the country.
Funds raised by the Australian Red Cross Timor-Leste Appeal will help provide food and other relief items such as tarpaulins, tents, house hold items, and mosquito nets, as well as logistical and communications support.
'By launching this appeal we can help with the immediate needs of those who have fled their homes,' said Robert Tickner, CEO of Australian Red Cross.
'However this appeal will also help us to contribute to the longer-term development of Australia's closest neighbour. Our commitment to supporting the people of Timor-Leste and the Timor-Leste Red Cross must extend beyond this current situation as Timor-Leste remains the poorest country in the region,' he said.
'Support for projects which improve the health and wellbeing of the people are central to nation-building.'
According to Mr Tickner, the fledgling Timor-Leste Red Cross has been working closely with the Timor-Leste Government over the past week, helping distribute food and other relief supplies as well as monitoring the state of the more than 30 camps that have sprung up across the country.
In Australia, Red Cross staff and volunteers in Darwin have been registering people evacuated from Timor-Leste, collecting their details and entering them into the National Registration and Inquiry System (NRIS). Family and friends seeking information on people being evacuated can contact the Red Cross on 08 8924 3900.
To donate to the 'Timor-Leste Appeal':
- Visit www.redcross.org.au to make a secure online donation
- all 1800 811 700 toll free
- send a cheque to GPO Box 2957 Melbourne VIC 8060 marked 'Timor-Leste Appeal'
The funds raised through this appeal will be used for the following activities:
- to support the relief, rehabilitation and on-going long term development activities of the Red Cross and Red Crescent movement in Timor-Leste, through the emergency appeal
- to fund any deployment of specialist aid workers to Timor-Leste to assist in the International Red Cross response
- to support any Australian Red Cross programs of assistance in Timor-Leste
- to support the ongoing development of the Timor Leste Red Cross (CVTL)
NOTE: Australian Red Cross will not deduct more than 10% of any donation for an international appeal to cover appeal costs. Should the funds raised exceed the amount required to meet the immediate and longer-term needs of the people in the affected areas, Australian Red Cross will use any excess funds to help people affected by emergencies within the same region of the world.