MATES Volunteers assist people in overcoming loneliness and social isolation and help re-establish and maintain connections in the community.
MATES Volunteers and participants undertake community activities together, for example:
- visiting library
- having a coffee
- attending recreational or social events
Red Cross trains and supports volunteers to befriend a person who experiences mental illness and get-togethers with other volunteers, participants and program staff are held on a regular basis.
MATES Volunteers will provide regular reports on volunteer activities.
- Ability to relate to people, including those living with a mental illness
- Good communication and listening skills
- Caring, friendly and non-judgemental personality
- Abide by the Red Cross 7 Fundamentals Priniciples
- An interest in mental health
For further details please refer to the position description below or contact the Mates Coordinator, Susan Sherrin on (03) 6235 6025.