Main Navigation

Helping older people with housing

ACHA (Assistance with Care and Housing for the Aged) helps elderly people access secure and affordable housing. This service is available in QLD, SA, VIC and WA.

Red Cross can:

  • link you with housing services
  • assist you to maintain your current housing
  • link you to care options and support
  • support you to access transport, culturally appropriate care, social companionship and activities, occupational therapy, access to aids/equipment and respite care
  • speak up on your behalf with other services, agencies and government departments
  • help you settle in to your new surroundings.

Red Cross currently provides housing services for older people in the following local government areas:

  • Barcaldine and Longreach in Queensland
  • East Gippsland, Horsham, Hindmarsh and Yarriambiack in Victoria
  • Port Lincoln, Lower Eyre Peninsula and Tumby Bay in South Australia
  • Nannup, Bridgetown-Greenbushes, Boyup Brook and Manjimup in Western Australia.

The ACHA program assists people who are:

  • 65 years or older or
  • Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and 50 years or older or
  • showing early signs of ageing and
  • receiving a low income.

People will generally be:

  • living in unsuitable, unsafe or unstable accommodation
  • renting in private or public housing, rooming houses, boarding houses or caravan parks
  • homeless or worried about becoming homeless

How to access this service

Ring or email the ACHA caseworker using the contact details below.

Anyone can make referrals including the person themselves, the person's family or friends, service providers or community members.

After taking some basic information and establishing eligibility for the program, the caseworker will arrange for a time to meet you. If you can't get to our office the caseworker can meet you in a location convenient to you.

The caseworker will talk with you to understand your situation and preferences. They will investigate the options available to you. Together you will develop an action plan that reflects your goals and outlines the steps towards a more stable and secure future. Your ACHA caseworker plays an important link between you and other community supports that can assist you.

ACHA can assist you to obtain services, housing or care that allows you to maintain your independence and remain living in the community. The assistance offered is practical and tailored to meet your individual needs and circumstances.

There are no costs for these services.

An Australian Government initiative.

Visit the Aged Care Australia website.


78 Ash Street
Barcaldine QLD 4725
T 07 4651 2007
For people living in the Barcaldine and Longreach Shires

South Australia
20 Edinburgh Street
Port Lincoln SA 5606
T 08 8683 0551 
For people living in the city of Port Lincoln, District of Lower Eyre Peninsula and District Council of Tumby Bay.

Quantum Support Services Inc.
306 Main Street,
Bairnsdale VIC 3875
T 03 5152 8000
For people living in East Gippsland Shire

Grampians Community Health Service
23 David Street
Horsham VIC 3400
T 0481 438 767
For people living in Horsham Rural City, Hindmarsh Shire and Yarriambiack

Western Australia
Blackwood House
Lot 22 Pioneer Street
Bridgetown WA 6255
T 08 9726 6700

South West
Western Australia
M 0478 321 222
T 08 97266700

Metro East / Metro North / Metro South East < br /> Western Australia
M 0410 890761
T 08 9225 1999
For people living in the shires of Nannup, Bridgetown-Greenbushes, Boyup Brook and Manjimup

ACH is an Australian Government Initiative. For information about other aged care services, go to the Aged Care Australia website or call 1800 200 422.